Monday, October 26, 2009

Slow Cooker Chicken Stroganoff



This is another recipe that I had found on allrecipes.com. It has become a favorite of both Lil Mama and I. I'll post below the recipe, what changes I normally make.

INGREDIENTS
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cubed
1/8 cup margarine
1 (.7 ounce) package dry Italian-style salad dressing mix
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup

DIRECTIONS
Put chicken, margarine and dressing mix in slow cooker; mix together and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours.
Add cream cheese and soup, mix together and cook on high for another 1/2 hour or until heated through and warm.

Here is a link to the recipe.

This is an easy recipe to play around with. I typically don't cube my chicken ahead of time. In fact I normally put frozen chicken breasts in the crockpot. If your chicken is already cleaned, then there is no need to thaw it out. The chicken comes out great. Also, I don't wait to put the soup in. I put it in at the beginning. I use 2 cans of soup though. One can cream of chicken and one can cream of mushroom. If you have extra cans of mushrooms, I would throw that in the beginning too. I also like to throw some extra seasoning in there like garlic powder and pepper. If you have some onions, you can throw that in there as well. You may even want to add a dash or two of worcester sauce. You see how easy it is to get carried away with adding ingredients. At the end I not only put in the cream cheese but also a container of sour cream. The end result is soooooooooo worth it. The reason I throw in the extra can of soup because I LOVE the sauce that this makes. In fact each time I make this, I say I am going to make it without the chicken and just have a nice, rich soup.

I made this dish last night for our dinner this evening. We are going to have it served over fresh whole wheat pasta. This dish is also great over brown rice(I'll share in another blog how to make some yummy brown rice that isn't instant). If you want to cut calories, you can use reduced fat or reduced sodium soups. You can also use the reduced fat cream cheese and sour cream. You can easily make this dish your own with your changes, but I thought I would share how I make it!

Enjoy!

Nay

No comments:

Post a Comment